Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Reason

I am the youngest of three children. There is a significant gap age gap between me and my older siblings. They are 7 and 9 years older than me. Back before I was born my family had a daily tradition. Every day at dinner they would go around the table and list "10 wonderful things" that had happened to them that day. 

By the time I was old enough to participate, this tradition had passed from practice to legend. We did it maybe a couple of times a year, if that, only at major holidays. My siblings recounted the horror of trying to come up with 10 different positive things that happened to them every single day. There were a couple freebies of course, Dad kissing you goodbye in the morning, Mom making you a snack after school, but that still left you with 8. The fact that I was never subject to this daily ritual was yet another item on their list of why I had it so much easier than they did. 

Well now I'm enforcing it on myself, from now on this blog will collect my daily lists of 10 wonderful things. On particularly bad days I may also add 10 terrible things, but I will also have 10 wonderful things too. Why? Because being alive is awesome, and everyday there's always something worth celebrating. Or in my case 10 somethings.

No comments: