Saturday, February 2, 2008

Saturday: Midnight to midnight

So I found out that I had to go back to work shortly after nidnight on Friday. It took me a while to get my stuff together and then I just missed the shuttle so I walked there and got in about 1:30. I ended up being there until 4:30 or so. I went home and slept for 3 hours. Then I had to wake up and go back to campus so I could hand-off the tapes I had printed. Then I went to work for another three hours to finish up a DVD that needed to be shown that night. Then I went home and slept for 5 hours. Very weird day.

1) One of the things I brought with me to work was Mango Slices. They got me through the night and served as breakfast on Saturday.

2) Handing off the tapes to the client and knowing that I no longer had to worry about it.

3) When I was back at work in the morning one of my students called around 9:45. He was calling to tell me about the tapes that needed to be printed. I was like "Dude, nice try, talk to me 12 hours ago when this would have been new information. I took care of it."

4) After I finished the DVD I called another one of my students so he could take care of getting it to the appropriate location. Delegation is awesome.

5) Listening to my ipod at bus stop. I was pretty sleep deprived so I was totally rocking out to the music. I mean I wasn't one of those dancing silhouettes from the ipod ads, but I was close as a normal person would get. The other person at the bus stop was giving me looks but I didn't care.

6) Being able to sleep and not have to worry about work. Slept through the whole afternoon. 4.5 hours. I still had dreams about work though.

7) I hadn't had food other than those mango slices so i woke up and had lunch for dinner.

8) I took a shower and felt very refreshed.

9) Then I went to this poetry slam on campus that I had been thinking about going to but wasn't sure if I was going to go to (because of work craziness and because I hadn't really prepared) until I was there. I'm really glad I did. I was anxious at first, but it ended up being really fun. Here are the pieces of other people's poems I scribbled down (not that they'll make much sense out of context): "Let me you you as my franchise" "What the fuck ar you clapping for?" "Everybody's looking for love, right? Then where is he?" "Voice voice voice voice voice." "Did you see the way they shot my man? In front of all those lights? With all those people watching? They killed his character and replaced him with a stereotype."

I also re-found out about a nearby weekly poetry slam that I'm going to check out.

10) Of course the real reason I went was to perform some of my own stuff. The only thing I really had ready was the one I wrote Friday night since it was fresh in my mind. So that one went really well, it felt completely natural and it flowed just right. Apparently the judges liked it too because I went on to the second (and final) round. This was nice, but I really didn't have anything else prepared and now there was the pressure of being in the second round. I tried one of the older one I had brought along and I couldn't remember a lot of it but I managed to fake it and make up a lot as I went along so it came out all right. Someone else won and she definitely deserved it, her shit was tight.

I don't have the first poem transcribed (it doesn't have a title either, but in a pinch I'd refer to it as Angry Love Poem) but here's three lines that should give you a sense of it:
"Falling in love is just like scratching an itch, it's good while it lasts, but then it fucking hurts like a bitch."
"Why shouldn't we all be jumping everyday for the things we love in this world?"
"And when I see you I'm cut through, and I don't know if that will ever change."

The second one was "Apologetic Pantoum". Or at least my on the spot interpretation of it. After three years it's just another poem.

The slam went until just after midnight so that's the official end of Saturday.

No comments: