Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Foolsday

1) Had some realizations about Sherry Tiles's childhood while I was taking my morning shower. I know I should probably focus my energy on figure out how I'm going to animate episode 1 rather than figuring out details they may never find their way into an episode, but I can't help it. I'll just be minding my own business when a thought will strike me. "When Sherry was a child actor, she must have befriended the film crew and learned how everything worked." or "Sherry is an excellent liar, because she spent her whole childhood pretending to be other people. One of the reasons she loves Phil is that he is incapable of lying. Growing up in a totally artificial environment she longed for truth, for reality." And those thoughts just lead to others and so on.

2) Google's April Fools jokes.

3) IGN's fake Zelda movie trailer had surprisingly high production value.

4) At work I finally finished up his video that has been hanging around for two months. It shouldn't have taken more than two weeks at most, but it's just been that busy.

5) The search for a Senior Producer is in the second round. It was narrowed down to 3 candidates and I sat in on a group interview with the first candidate today. We're getting really close to finding someone. Woohoo!

6) Caught the shuttle home with perfect timing.

7) I only spent enough time at home to change clothes and head out again. I was off for adventure! While I was waiting for the 6 I went into the convenience store on the corner for the first time and bought my first Clif Bar - Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter - it was tasty. Then on my way from the 6 to the Pink line I stopped in a Subway and got sandwich, since I wasn't sure if there would be food where I was headed.

8) Where was I headed? A warehouse out by Pulaski and Ogden (pretty far west of downtown). But it's not just any warehouse, this warehouse is the video studio and sometimes residence of Mr. Ben Kolak. It totally suits him, from the rough exterior, to the questionable stairs leading up to it, to the spacious interior. There was one large room that was fairly domestic (it had heat and lights and a kitchen and a bathroom) and a bunch of smaller ones full of all sorts of odds and ends. It's a pretty cool set-up. The roof has a great unobstructed view of the Chicago skyline.

9) Why did I venture out to Ben's warehouse during the middle of the week? Well he was having a small party because the illustrious Will Slocombe was in town. I last saw Will when I was out in LA for DV Expo and went over to his house for dinner. I didn't really get to talk to him much, but it was nice to see him.

10) I also met a couple new people and saw some people I sort of knew (including one of my clients from work) and it was great because everyone was more or less my age and out of college. It's been very long since I've been to a social event like this. It was fun and I got an invite to an even cooler party happening that Saturday. You'll hear about that in due course.

11) There was indeed some food at the party. Ben made "one of the two things he knows how to make" - it was barbecued beef (the marinade was the key of course) and onions and tortillas. Twas tasty.

12) I managed to get a ride home with some of the people I met at the party. This was great because I didn't want to deal with the CTA that late and it was fast and the people who drove me home were cool. The driver was David Bashwinner, who I had heard of before but never met. He is really cool, he's a very friendly guy and I immediately felt at ease with him. I can't remember the name of the girl in the passenger seat. I'm pretty sure it started with an R. She used to live in Portland and was telling me how great it was. I didn't interact much with Richard, the guy who was in the back with me, but later that week I saw him when I was going in to my building and found out he works on the first floor of my building. (I knew he looked familiar!)

No comments: