Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Two(camera)sday

1) Slept in a little. What's a little? Maybe an hour. I'm not sure.

2) Had a relatively productive morning

3) There was a relatively complicated shoot today. Two U of C professors, one from the law school and one from the business school wrote a book that was an Amazon book of the month for April. Apparently there is a space on the Amazon page for videos to go, so we shot a straight forward interview with Thaler and a conversation between the two authors in the restaurant where they came up with the book.

Now I've done dowzens of interviews. I know interviews, but I've done very few two camera shoots, let alone one in a restaurant. And of course we showed up at the restaurant and no one there knew we were coming, even though Thaler had talked to someone ahead of time. It would have been very stressful, had I not had Ben there for everything. He's a pro in every way, whether it's setting up equipment, dressing the set and the actors, or sweet talking the restaurant manager, I had him do all the things I knew he would do better than me.

4) Because we had to breakdown, carry two blocks and then re-set-up two cameras and two tripods and a light kit in the space of half an hour or so I had the two students who were in that day, Tiffany and Walker, show up at the end of the first interview to help with the transition. Tiffany ended up staying throughout the Noodles shoot, to hold a reflector. Today was one of those days where my ability to organize and direct people and equipment was put to good use.

5) At one point today I had more students in to work than I knew what to do with.

6) Got Jimmy John's for dinner

7) Watched 30 Rock "Fireworks"
Tracy: Doctor Spaceman, when they check my DNA, will they tell me what diseases I might get, or help me to remember my ATM pincode?
Dr. Spaceman: Absolutely. Science is whatever we want it to be. I'll let you know as soon as we have the results.
Tracy: I already know the results, the kid is not mine!
Dr. Spaceman: Boy it's crazy to think we used to settle questions of paternity by dunking a woman in water until she admitted she made it all up. Different time, the sixties.
Here's a perfect example of wikiquote's deficiency, they' don't have the best exchange from this episode. But imdb does:

Maury Povich: [after discovering that he is a descendant of Thomas Jefferson, Tracy is dreaming that he's on "The Maury Povich Show"] All right, Tracy. I have the DNA results right here. Are you ready to find out who your biological father is?
Tracy Jordan: I think I am.
Maury Povich: Tracy, meet your father, Tom!
Tracy Jordan: No! I hate you, Thomas Jefferson! I don't know who I am anymore! You can't be my father!
Sally Hemings: Hey, Maury. He's a dog! He's a dog!
Maury Povich: Sally Hemmings just called you a dog, Thomas Jefferson.
Thomas Jefferson: No matter, Maurice. I am here for you, Tracy Jordan. I rode a horse all the way from heaven to tell you something important. America, which I invented...
[the audience boos, and Jefferson makes a pixelated rude gesture to the audience]
Thomas Jefferson: ... which I invented, is a great country because we are not burdened by our pasts. Embrace who you are, Tracy Jordan. And may the force be with you always.

8) Took a nap

9) Had peach yogurt for the first time. However I ate it too soon after the nap and thus SleepyDave was the one tasting it. He thought it tasted "like it's sneaking up on me." Now HalfSleepyDave thought this was a perfectly defensible claim and tried to argue to Stephanie how something could taste like it's sneaking up on you. But apparently it doesn't actually make sense. NotSleepyDave may still think that it makes some sense, but knows better than to say so.

10) Lila called! We talked for over an hour. I ranted about work and talked about the Lego job and she told me about her new job where she works more ridiculous hours than I do, but seems to really like the job. Our conversation touched on various other topics, fan fiction, The Hobbit (movie), Lila's walrus woman novel, The Experiment and more. It was wonderful to talk to her and catch up. Last I talked to her was when I was home for Isaiah's birthday.

11) Updated The Experiment for the first time in ages.

12) Worked on editing Mr. President some more.

13) It was a nice cool evening

1 comment:

concretesphinx said...

So THAT'S why you updated.