Saturday, May 31, 2008

All Caught Up

1) Waking up - realizing that I didn't have to do anything for several hours yet and then going back to bed (although I didn't go back to sleep, I just lazed around for a half an hour or so).

2) Not being at the conference during the early afternoon.

3) This hilarious clip Stephanie sent me. Context it's from a British Game show called QI. But it's hilarious even if you've never heard of the show.

4) Finally, finally catching up to the present on this blog. It's been so long since I wrote this in the present tense on a daily basis, it feels weird to be writing this, since this all happened today. Don't worry, I'm sure I get backlogged soon enough. Next weekend is going to be very busy.

5) It was very nice out. I appreciated this on my walk to the shoot, from the shoot back home and then to the movie theater (Spolier Alert?).

6) For dinner I got Jimmy Johns and had a guava juice. Delicious

7) Started reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency today. Read some at the shoot and on the bus downtown and back. I'm now approximately 1/3 of the way through the book and I have yet to meet Dirk Gently. He has been mentioned a couple times and described in a recollection, but he has not shown up in the present action of the story yet. I mean I'm enjoying it, it's very Douglas Adams, funny and strange, but the fact that the titular character has yet to appear 1/3 of the way through is bothering me just a bit.

I think this is exacerbated by his description which makes him sound like quite the character:
"By means of an ingenious series of strategically deployed denials of the most exciting and exotic things, he was able to create the myth that he was a psychic, mystic, telepathic, fey, clairvoyant, psychosassic vampire bat. What did 'pyschosassic' mean? It was his own word and he vigorously denied that it meant anything at all."

Here are some other bits I've enjoyed "Gordan Way's astonishment at being suddenly shot dead was nothing to his astonishment at what happened next." "He was dead. Dead...dead... He tried to make the word toll dramatically in his mind, but it wouldn't. He was not a film sound track, he was just dead." "He felt that as a ghost--he should be able to drift. He knew little enough about ghosts, but he felt that if you were going to be one then there ought to be certain compensations for not having a physical body to lug around, and that among them ought to be the ability simply to drift. But no, it seemed he was going to have to walk every step of the way."

8) I met Paul and Stephanie at the movie theater to see Indiana Jones. It was good and I enjoyed watching it, but parts of it felt off. The climax didn't feel very climax-y and some parts were just silly. It certainly doesn't approach The Last Crusade but it's probably better than Temple of Doom. I don't think I've ever seen Raiders all the way through in one sitting, which strikes me as odd. I don't know how many times I've seen the Last Crusade. Countless. I am somewhat more interested in getting some more of the Lego sets now... They have some cool hairdos

9) Since I accomplished one of the 3 goals that were attached to it. I was fianlly able to put together one floor of the Green Grocer. The fire escape is really cool, and I like the curtains in the windows and the little balconies. Otherwise the 2nd floor doesn't have a lot going on and it looks very strange since it doesn't have a bottom or top. Of course that's why I picked it to be put together first, because I knew that it's incompleteness would only further fuel my desire to accomplish those last two goals.






10) Realizing tomorrow is still the weekend and I don't have to go to work.

1 comment:

concretesphinx said...

James does not show up until a third of the way through. Maybe i should reconsider my title...