Monday, June 23, 2008

BRICKWORLD DAY 4: The Final Brick

1) Unlike yesterday, where I didn't get to spend any time at the table where my laptop was set up, today I spent the whole morning sitting there and answering one question over and over again. And what was that question? "How long did this take you?" (Which is why I've decided for every animation I do from now on I'm going to keep a log of all the animation time so I can give people a precise answer.) It wasn't the only thing people said, but it was the question, as it has always been. Still, it was nice to be set up and not constantly on the move and just watch the convention crowd pass by.

2) It was nice to watch people's reactions and hand out slips with my youtube website on it. I got very familiar with "Street Spirit" and "The Legend of Zelda: Underworld Pressure Cooker" and I think the BrickArms people next to them probably were sick of them by the end of the weekend, but that's their problem. There are worse songs to hear over and over again.

Steve Gerling and Jim and Justin all stopped and watched some of my stuff and it was nice to be able to show them what I had been talking about. Steve's reactions in particular were great. He took a slip with great excitement.

3) I hadn't had a real breakfast and so I got hungry after a couple hours and went to the nearby Chipotle to get a burrito to go. I brought it back and ate it behind my table. Delicious.

4) Then I got sick of sitting around and went over to investigate Justin's display in more detail. In addition to an extensive Western Town, he also had big foam cards with a choose your own adventure story. The front of each card was the gorgeous faux box art he creates for his MOCs. I played through the story and then spent some time admiring the fine details of his set-up.





One great thing he pointed out to me is the Saloon girl's umbrella, which is more than just an umbrella.

Then we had a nice long story about storytelling and Lego. I also found out that he's a comic book artist. He's definitely a very cool guy.

5) Then I finally went and introduced myself to David Pagano, which I had been meaning to do since Thursday, but I kept getting distracted. I basically went up and said, "Hi my name's also Dave, I also make brick films." We didn't talk for long, because he was working on editing together all the clips from a little animation station he had set up for the weekend. Still, it was nice to at least to say hello and find out that he'd seen "The Franky Job."

6) I don't remember what set it off, but one of the kids watching my movies went into a laughing fit. He didn't fall over or anything, (only I do that) but it was still pretty intense. It made me happy. If I haven't ever said it directly here before, I'll take this opportunity to say that one of my favorite things in the whole world is making people laugh. I don't think that will come as a shock to anyone.

7) Then there was the closing ceremony which was rather drawn out, because they were doing lots of raffling. The coolest thing was probably the video that David Pagano had put together of all the animation clips over the weekend. It isn't up on the internet yet, but here's the same thing from last year's show. The only other thing that was exciting to me was Mark and Mikael winning best Diorama.

And then it was over! :( It didn't take long for me to break down my display and pack everything up in the ol' PT Cruiser. I said my goodbyes and then I lingered for a little bit, but everyone was busy taking stuff down or packing up their vehicles so there was no point in sticking around. I didn't want to leave, but there was nothing else to do. (However, some part of me didn't leave and even know is floating around blissfully in Lego heaven.)

8) I told Peter I'd give him a ride to Union Station since it was very much on my way back the Hyde Park and it was nice to have company. We talked about Lego of course.

9) I was worried when we approached the place where the terrible traffic had started the day before, after we got past that first major clog it cleared up and was not bad at all. Wonderful!

10) Getting home. No matter how nice the vacation, there's also a sense of relief when you finally make it back to where you started from.

11) I talked to Mom and Dad. I don't remember it very well but I probably just babbled about the convention for an hour.

12) Then I collapsed into a nap. It's one of those naps where I don't set an alarm or even think about waking up or even going to sleep. One minute I'm awake and the next I'm SleepyDave.

13) I woke up and had a voice mail from Krista about a BBQ she was having. I called to make sure it was still going on and indeed it was so I drove over there (cuz I could) and ate the some hot dogs and hte last of the delicious strawberry shortcake and watched most of hte first episode of The Wire with Seth and Tiffany and Krista.

14) I came home and put together the coffee table. Look at it's glory!

Yes, it's covered with Lego. But it's a surface in my apartment, what did you expect. Right now it's covered with sets that I'm preparing to take apart, pieces that need to be sorted and a few small creations that are newly created or in the process of being created.

That's all folks. Hopefully now that I'm returning to less photo and story intense days I can whip through a bunch and get closer to being caught up. Right now I am verging on being a month behind. Yikes!

No comments: