Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Little Odyssey

Today's list is completely out of order and I'll too lazy to make it chronological.

1) So one of the things I noticed in The Onion that I got yesterday when Adam and I were looking for a way to kill an hour was a concert that was happening tonight. Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey is a band I stumbled upon a few years back. Their album "The Sameness of Difference" is one of my favorites. It is comprised of jazz-like covers of songs by a variety of artists, from Charles Mingus and The Beatles, to Bjork and the Falming Lips. I rarely go to see music live, I usually prefer music that I can control the volume and bass ratio on, but I figured I could make an exception for JFJO.



It was a good decision. It was cool to see them in person. They wore cloaks when they came on stage and just seeing them go crazy when they were playing difficult parts in certain songs was cool. Seeing them live made it clear the the pianist is really the heart of the band. He's incredibly talented, which I understood from hearing songs like "The Spark that Bled" but seeing it person really drove it home.

2) The best part of their set was when they played the song "Oklahoma Stomp" by Duke Ellington. I don't know what the original song is like but their version was one hell of a ride.

3) There were a couple of opener bands. One of them was called Algernon. My favorite I never heard the name for. They had the most audible lyrics and the least offensive sound. I know I must sound like an old curmudgeon, but I don't like being assaulted by bass or a mess of sound that doesn't resolve into melodies. There should be a law about performing experimental music. Like you can only do it if you've already proven you're really good. But yeah, I liked that one band. Algernon, not so much.

4) The concert was on the North Side (just down the street from my new apartment in fact) so I took the Red Line home but I had good luck and caught it quickly, so it only took about 45 minutes to get home.

5) More NNN details took shape in my head. Which ones? Who knows! I have tiny revelations all the time. They were probably about the first few episodes though. My thinking has been relatively focused on them recently.

6) Leftovers were perfect for dinner.

7) After work I bought the ticket for hte show and then took a 2.5 hour nap

8) I took the 55 home from work - it was too hot to walk

9) I got home just before the rain

10) I went with Josh to the annual NSIT picnic because there was free food and because he said he wanted to introduce me to some of the people he knew over there from when he used to work at the University. The only relevant person I talked to there, I already knew, but I did talk to a bunch of people who used to work with Josh and they told me about his personality and stuff, some of which I started to gather on my own. Still, it was pretty good free food (I got a chipwich from the ice cream cart) and gossip can be fun.

11) In the morning we were setting up our mini studio space for a mock interview and I got to sit in the chair and be the model while Renee and Josh adjusted the lighting. I enjoy being the model.

No comments: