Sunday, June 15, 2008

Paper in disguise

1) Stop-motion origami Transformers

2) Short behind the scenes documentary about the old HBO intro that flies over a city. So very 80s.

3) Reading online about the Toyota Prius - realizing I should wait until the fall to try and get one, because the new model is coming out. This is if I end up getting a car. Maybe I just want to do zipcars.

4) FF - "Out of Gas" - This is a great episode it's got flashbacks aplenty and is told out of order, which is always fun.
[The crew surprises Simon with a birthday cake.]
Simon: How did… how did you know? River, did you…?
River: "Day" is a vestigial mode of time measurement, based on solar cycles. It's not applicable. [pauses] I didn't get you anything.

[River peeks in on Book, who is reading his Bible.]
River: You're afraid we're going to run out of air. That we'll die gasping. But we won't. That's not going to happen.
[Book looks up at her, hopefully.]
River: We'll freeze to death first.
I had forgotten about it, but the way that Kaylee joins the crew is just wonderful (as if it could be anything else).

5) Finished "The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet." It's a great little book, I might even venture to say it's perfect. Everything is proportioned just right. A tiny and wonderful adventure to a tiny wonderful planet with tine wonderful people. I imagine that Phil and Bill Brickley went on many similar adventures throughout their childhood. Just the two of them building a spaceship or an airplane or what have you and just going wherever it took them.

6) Did the dishes.

7) Went out and got groceries. These two things are my normal Sunday fare, and for good reason, they need to be done and they help prepare for the week ahead.

8) I made Saltine Chicken for the first time. This is a recipe Paul and Stephanie passed on to me. It is superlatively delicious. I also made asparagus from the occasional vegetarian cookbook. Simple but delicious.


9) FF - "Ariel" - I think the job that the crew pulls in this episode might be my favorite. It's nice and intricate and masterminded by Simon. Not that I'm partial to Simon or anything. I'm sure if Kaylee came up with a job I would love it just as much or more. Of course her job would probably involve them stealing strawberries and then eating them. Which, while delicious, is not exactly profitable.
[A doctor is hassling "EMT" Mal for his insubordination.]
Doctor: You must be new. Don't get comfortable. Your type doesn't last long here. When your supervisor hears about the rude and disresp— AGHHH!
[He collapses. Behind him, Zoe lowers defibrillator paddles.]
Zoe: Clear.
10) Talking to Mom and Dad - they talked about their recent trip up to Ithaca. Isaiah spent a lot of time running around and called Dad "papa."

11) DW - Tooth and Claw
Rose: I want her to say "we are not amused". I bet you five quid I can make her say it.
The Doctor: Well, if I gambled on that, it would be an abuse of my privilege as a traveller in time.
Rose: Ten quid?
The Doctor: Done.

The Doctor: She's a feral child. I bought her for sixpence in Old London Towne. It was her or the Elephant Man.
Rose: Thinks he funny, but I'm so not amused. What do you think, ma'am?

Queen Victoria: And you may think on this, also. That I am not amused!
Rose: [as the Doctor admits defeat] Yes!
12) So the Lego Agents set I put together yesterday has a really cool new arm piece which allows you to attach pretty much any other lego piece. This is a revolution in lego minifig customization. In the set they use it to give the cyborg a chainsaw arm, but that's just the beginning of what it can be.

Why not a flamethrower?

or a spike?

Or a chain?

You can also attach rEdiculously large weapons


Or something less destructive, like a jewel

or a bouquet

Or a bush!

And why stop at flora?


And my personal favorite:


And then of course I had to make a more appropriate body for the parrot arm:

No comments: