Sunday, June 8, 2008

Slow Day

1) I slept in pretty late and even then I wasn't really up for a while because I would eat breakfast or watch some Firefly and ice my ankle and then take a nap. So it was well into the afternoon when I was finally awake and alert.

2) Firefly- "Shindig"
Wash: Don't fall asleep now. Sleepiness is weakness of character, ask anyone.
Zoe: It is not!
Wash: You're acting Captain. You know what happens, you fall asleep?
Zoe: Jayne slits my throat and takes over?
Wash: That's right.
Zoe: And we can't stop it?
Wash: I wash my hands of it. Hopeless case. I'll read a nice poem at the funeral. Something with imagery.
Zoe: You could lock the door. Keep the power-hungry maniac at bay.
Wash: Don't know. I'm starting to like this poetry thing. "Here lies my beloved Zoe, my autumn flower… somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross-" [Zoe hits him with a pillow]
Also Kaylee's excitement about getting to wear a dress and go to a fancy party is wonderful. But then, everything Kaylee does is wonderful.

3) Did the mountain of dishes in the sink.

4) I think spending so much time in my apartment this weekend made me acutely aware of what needed cleaning. So this afternoon I went on an impromptu cleaning spree. I vacuumed my room and cleaned the bathroom.

5) After that I braved a trip to the grocery store. And while I walked slower than usual there was no pain so hurrah!

6) Firefly - "Safe" - All the Simon/River backstory scenes are great
[In the present day, River is violently refusing to cooperate with Simon's diagnostic tests.]
Mal: So, she's added cussing and hurling-about of things to her repertoire. She really is a prodigy.
Simon: It's just a bad day.
Mal: No, a "bad day" is when someone's yellin' spooks the cattle. Understand? You ever see cattle stampede when they got no place to run? It's kind of like a… a meat grinder. And it'll lose us half the herd.
Simon: She hasn't gone anywhere near the cattle.
Mal: No, but in case you hadn't noticed, her voice kinda carries. We're two miles above ground and they can probably hear her down there. Soon as we unload, she can holler until our ears bleed — although I would take it as a kindness if she didn't.
River: The human body can be drained of blood in 8.6 seconds given adequate vacuuming systems.
Mal: See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like.

[Jayne, in the process of ransacking Simon's belongings, pretends to read Simon's journal.]
Jayne: "Dear Diary: Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. [flips page] Today we were kidnapped by hill folk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
7) Talked with mom and dad

8) AD - "Good Grief" - Everyone saying "I don't know what I'm saying!" but especially Maeby
George, Sr.: Is Oscar wearing my suit? Hey, you tell my brother you don’t wear dead man’s pants. Shame on him. And you say that to him. You say, you say, “Shame on you.”
George Michael: Okay.
George, Sr.: Say it to me like you’re going to say it to him.
George Michael: I’m probably not going to say it to him.
Michael: It’s as Ann as the nose on Plain’s face.

9) Then I made some pumpkin bread to fill my apartment with the scent of pumpkin bread and also so I could eat the pumpkin bread. I forgot to add baking soda, so instead of pumpkin bread I got pumpkin lump. It still tastes delicious, it's just a bit more condensed.

10) Dr Who - "Parting of the Ways" - Now that's how you do a season finale! So much better than (for instance) the Torchwood season 1 finale.

The Doctor: [To the Daleks] You know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might have removed all your emotions, but I reckon right down deep in your DNA there's one little spark left. And that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me?

10) Then I went on a Dr. Who related Wikipedia Spiral, although I somehow ended up reading about the Buffy comics. Such is the way of Wikipedia Spirals.

No comments: