Saturday, June 7, 2008

Sprained Day

1) So I went to sleep with my ankle elevated and on ice, even though it didn't hurt that much. I woke up around 4 in the morning and had to go to the bathroom only to find that my ankle was in extreme pain and I couldn't put any weight on it at all. So I hopped my way to the bathroom and them I hopped across the apartment to my rolling chair.

Everything was much better once I could roll around. I realized that the injury was going to prevent me from doing any shooting, so I took some ibuprofen, elevated and iced my ankle, had a little snack and wrote an e-mail to all of CMIG about my foolish injury and it's consequences. Then I went back to sleep.

2) Woke up at 8 to start calling people about covering the shoots I no longer could. Once I had found someone for the earliest shoot and sent out text messages and left voicemails about the other two I went to sleep. I was awakened by a phone call. It was someone to cover a shoot. Then I went to sleep again. I was awakened by a phone call. It was someone to cover a shoot. This is my kind of cycle - sleep interrupt by the assurance that I can stay in bed.

3) So I knew that I should rest and not put any weight on my ankle, but I could sleep all day so I decided now was as good a time as any to watch Firefly. I have seen it all before of course, but I bought these DVDs when they were on sale back around Christmas time and they've been sitting on a shelf unwatched since then. A travesty to be sure.

In the morning I watched the two part pilot - "Serenity". I had forgotten just how fantastic this show is. It does so much right, it's beautifully shot, it's witty and entertaining, the writing and acting are pretty much flawless and the music is perfect. The pilot alone is a great work of art, but things only get better from there. I had forgotten about Kaylee and how wonderful she is. I had not forgotten about how kick-ass Mal is, but it's always great to see again. I think what really makes this show fantastic is that more than a science fiction show or a western it's really just the story of the crew's lives. While there some scenes that are pure action, there are lots of scenes that just go to developing the characters and plenty of scenes that do two things at once. If you are interested you can watch the whole series for free on the internet.
Bendis: We're gonna die.
Mal: We are not gonna die. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die. Huh? Look at that chiseled jaw!
(Wash is playing with plastic dinosaurs.)
Wash: (as Stegosaurus) Yes...yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it...this land. (as Allosaur) I think we should call it your grave! (as Stegosaurus) Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! (as Allosaur) Ha ha ha! Mine is an evil laugh! Now DIE! (as Stegosaurus) Oh no, God, oh dear God in heaven...

Jayne: Captain, can you stop her from bein' cheerful, please?
Mal: I don't believe there's a power in the 'verse can stop Kaylee from being cheerful. Sometimes you just wanna duct-tape her mouth, and… dump 'er in the hold for a month.
[A grinning Kaylee gives Mal a peck on the cheek.]
Kaylee: I love my captain.
Also the part where Mal shoots Dobson is awesome.

4) Naps naps naps

5) Not going in to work

6) My showerhead is on a hose so I was able to shower sitting down since I still wasn't ready to put my full weight on my ankle.

7) I improved remarkably throughout the day. Probably because I spent most of it stationary with my leg up and iced it frequently. By the afternoon I was already walking around the apartment, although with a definite limp.

8) AD - "Amigos!" - I love how Michael can never remember Ann's name
George Michael: All right, let me grab Ann real quick.
Michael: What? Ann’s here?
George Michael: Yeah, I invited her. You-you said you wanted to spend time some with her. You said I was being an Ann hog.
Michael: Ann-Hog’s coming? I mean, I thought it was just going to be ...
George Michael: It’s just Ann.
Michael: ... like, the two of us. All right, well, just load her up in the car.
Lucille: You can leave tomorrow after my going away party for Buster. I still can’t believe he’s going into the Army. You know he’s doing it just to spite me.
Michael: Then why are you throwing him a party?
Lucille: Just to spite him.
Michael: You guys have such a healthy thing going.
George Michael: So uh, you guys have a good talk?
Michael: Yeah, a great talk, that cousin of yours is a hell of a girl... it's too bad you can't date her.
George Michael: No, I meant... wait, you wouldn't have a problem with that?

[Michael looks at him funny]

George Michael: Nothing!
9) Leftovers for dinner

10) To test out my ankle I did my laundry, which involved walking back and forth to the basement several time. It was a success and despite it being the weekend, no one else was using the machines. Sweet!

11) A little while later I went to Byron's birthday party with Tiffany. I took the east route most of the way there and back, but I found out that my ankle was not as happy in shoes. Still it was good to get a little walk in to see just how my ankle was holding up. I had to go slowly but it wasn't painful. Success!

I did spend most of the party sitting down, because I knew my ankle still needed to rest. However Tiffany and I did invent some new disco moves and realized that you can disco to anything and anything can be made disco. I talked with Emily about Firefly and work. Abe and I talked about the internet and different neighborhoods.

12) Came home and did some more icing and elevating and watched 2 more episodes of Firefly - "The Train Job" and "Bushwacked" - Jayne getting delusional and then passing out from the morphine - Mel kicking the guy into the engine
Zoe: Proximity alert. Must be coming up on something.
Wash: [alarmed.] Oh my god! What can it be? We're all doomed! Who's FLYING this thing?! [deadpan.] Oh right, that would be me. Uh, back to work.

1 comment:

concretesphinx said...

At some point, when we're finished with AD, i'll consider it