Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Animation Studio

1) I discovered a new technique in Squeeze today that saves me a lot of hassle when compressing a whole bunch of things at once.

2) I was hungry at work and had consumed my normal daily foodstuffs and then remembered that I had left a yogurt in the fridge a littel while back for just such an occasion. Thanks YesterDave!

3) I couldn't be bothered to make anything for dinner so I got an italian sandwich from Potbellies.

4) This short lego pirate movie - The fragmentary map

5) Lego announced one of the new themes for next year today: Power Miners. Hopefully it will be better than the terrible Rock Raiders. I do like the sound of "half-rock/half-crystal monsters."

6) Then I went to sleep for 3 hours. It wasn't entirely intentional, but I certainly enjoyed it.

7) When I woke up and realized I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep for a while I had a popsicle. It was exactly what I need.

8) Then I spent an hour doing the dishes which had piled up. I wanted to do them a couple days ago to discover that my kitchen sink was clogged. And by clogged I mean that it had backed up to the extent that gross stuff had come out of the drain and was floating in the sink. I'm not quite sure how it happened. I don't think it's my fault, the plumbing in this building is pretty bad. Another reason I can't wait to move. Well anyway with the help of some Draino I managed to get the drain going in the right direction again.

9) Then I animated the "nefarious engine setting the hills afire." Since all the days I spent setting this up were rushed over in my catch-up, I didn't talk about my current set-up for animating. Here's a picture of my "studio"

I've animated in various places over the years, all over the lego room in PA, both dressers, I've owned, Lila's sink/countertop, the blue/green table in our apartment, digitally at CMIG etc. My current set-up is definitely the best. Those two lamps are not the ideal set-up, but they're much better than anything I've used before. Those black legos on the back of the baseplate are used to keep the camera in place. I've also built a turntable with the same top for getting angle shots. The table is wonderful, because it means I can sit while I animate , which is not the way I used to do it. And of course the baseplate is taped down so nothing moves accidentally. How I ever got by without securing it is a mystery.

10) Another nice thing about my current set-up that you can't see in the picture is that my MacBook is on the table as well, which means after I shoot a scene I can bring it into Final Cut immediately and edit it right there. Since the real joy of animating is seeing the fruits of your labor, this is quite awesome.

No comments: