Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I get things done (eventually)

So I took the day off from work so I could finally finally finally get my Illinois Driver's License:


Not a bad picture, if I say so myself. Why did I say finally three times? Because it's been almost a year since my parents brought me my birth certificate so I've had all the necessary documents for quite some time and have been meaning to do it ever since. Also, almost exactly 6 months ago I bought a Lego set and attached three goals in an attempt to hold back my Lego spending or to incentivize myself to get things done. It only took me a couple weeks to finish the first goal, catching up on the blog. The summer came and went and I moved and then I finally finished the the Lego animation that had started out as a birthday present for someone last October. And now that I have my license the set is finally complete.

While I don't think it was a total disaster, I do think that 6 months is a bit long of a turn-around time. Also it didn't really keep me from buying other lego in the mean-time. So I am revising the sytem and switching the order. From now on I will prohibit myself from buying Lego until I have reached a goal. And after cheating on my vision test today I have decided that my next goal will be to get glasses (or contacts I guess... but just the thought of putting contacts in makes me squeamish, so I don't see how that could be something I do on a daily basis). I spent some time this evening trying to figure out how the vision part of my medical insurance works, but the Humana website is not very helpful. I have sent an e-mail.

I didn't get much else done today. I forgot to set and alarm so I woke up at 10. Then I went and got my license and then I swung by the Lego Store and used my $50 gift certificate. However, most of it was spent on a christmas gift for Isaiah. I picked up this recycle truck because I can always use more orange, (especially since the first few episodes of NNN involve a war between orange and green) and because I am thinking about using that torso as the prisoner uniform for the prison in episode 1 and wanted to see what it looked like before ordering 40 or so of them from bricklink. Then I went to Trader Joe's to pick up a few things for dinner and mango slices because I can always use more.

Stephanie came over for dinner (and Okami and Pushing Daisies and Torchwood). I made tacos, delicious delicious tacos. And only one of them fell apart!

I only wrote like 300 words today, so I am now slightly more than a day behind on NaNoWriMo, but I 'm still moving forward and that's what counts. Hopefully I will be able to churn out like 10K this weekend and then I'll be set.

No comments: