Sunday, November 30, 2008

November Recap

Well, November is officially over. I didn't quite make it to 50,00 words, but I did write over 40,000, which is still a good amount for a month. There's still a bunch of scenes that need to be written, but it's getting to the point where I know what they are and can actually see having a rough draft finished some time next year. Now that I'm in the writing mode I will be writing more regularly. I'm going to officially make it a goal to write 10,000 words for each month until I've got a rough draft done. 10,00 words is something I could pound out in a couple days if I needed to, so this is not an unreasonable goal. I'm also planning to do script frenzy in April to plow through a majority of the first season of NNN, but that's another issue. My current artisitc focus is on finishing the first episode.
And I now have the legos to do it! When my parent's drove out fro Thanksgiving they brought all the legos from the Pennsylvania collection and my apartment is now overflowing with them. Here's an illustrative picture:

The pile on the right is the basic red bricks I had in Chicago, the pile on the left is what just came from PA. Not all of the colors and divisions are quite this uneven, but I think it give a good sense of the magnitude of the two collections. Needless to say there is a lot of sorting to be done. I did the minimum necessary to get them from covering my bedroom, but there is still much to be done.
Thanksgiving was a lot of fun, Mom and Dad got in on Tuesday and after work I met them downtown and then we came up here to unload the Legos and eat at Leona's (so good!). I had to work Wednesday, but I met them and J-P downtown after and we had an early dinner at Mambo Grill (I accidentally ordered the spiciest chicken ever, but everything else was great) then we did the last bit of shopping at Jewel and picked up the turkey. J-P and I played Mario Kart for a while while Dad took a nap and Mom made cocoa throwdowns. On Thursday I slept wonderfully late, they arrived around noon and we had a late breakfast of cinnamon rools and bacon and sausage and then spent the afternoon getting everything ready for dinner at 5. After the meal we decided we were too lazy to go to a moive and instead watched the first 9 episodes of 30 Rock Season 2. On Friday I didn't sleep too late, then I went downtown and had lunch with Mom and Dad at the food court next door. We took the free trolley down to Millenium Park, where I showed them the bean and the big faces. Then we walked to this German outdoor market in Daley plaza where mom bought an angel ornament and I bought a big soft pretzel. It was very crowded. (There was a choclate & marzipan stall which I'm sure Alex would be interested in.) Then we walked back to the hotel, I took a nap in J-P's room while he got room service and played WoW. We debated our dinner plans and eventually decided to go back to my place for left-overs (plus corn and zucchini thing that we didn't make the day before.) Then we returned downtown and saw Slumdog Millionaire. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I bid them farewell and headed home.
Yesterday I barely went outside, spent a good amount of time writing (that's when I got to 40 K) and sorting and storing the legos. Today I put together my powerpoint presentation for the talk I'm giving tomorrow night. I also called Lila, amazingly just as she was preparing to open the package I sent her. We talked for a goo long while and decided that while we won't be able to see each other around Christmas and New Year's we will plan a weekend in February. All in all it has been a wonderful long weekend, during which I barely thought about work (except for this dream/nightmare where our office was inexplicably competing in a Science compettion).
Back to the regular 10 a day tomorrow.

No comments: