Saturday, August 22, 2009

Maybe I'll actaully get back to posting once a week... maybe...

1) Here's the set for that chase scene I posted last week. It took a good deal of my yellow bricks...

And from above you can see how I slanted the wall to force the perspective. Whee!


2) Saw District 9. It was good, a little more action-packed than I expected or desired, but the action was well done, (the mech was awesome) so I'm not really complaining. I recommend it, although not for my mother, as the protagonist drops the F-bomb like it's going out of style, and at one point bites his fingernails off. I agree with AV Club: B+

3) Got my passport in the mail this week. That was fast. I probably won't be using it until the spring. The end of the year is always a busy time and no one wants to go anywhere in the winter (except to shiny, sunny places).

4) Finished Avatar the Last Airbender. It was pretty good, especially considering it's target audience. There are things I would have liked them to explore/explain in more detail, but such is the way of things. I'm sure there's fanfic. The best thing about the show is the animation of the bending. None of the various bending compilations I could find on youTube (and believe me I jut dredged through a lot) show all the coolest bits I would have compiled, but this video does a good job of showcasing all four elements. Start at 40 secs and turn the sound off since it is irrelevant. This one seriously neglects Earth, but shows off the octopus form of waterbending, which I love. None of them show why waterbending is the best, but rest assured that it is. All this talk about bending makes me want to watch all the North Pole episodes again.

4) I took Friday day off. In the morning the Internet went out. This is a frequent occurrence, I probably go upstairs to reset the router once a week. However, when I went on Friday the door on the closet with the router was locked. It's never been locked before. I tried all my keys (because there is one key I have that I still haven't found the lock for) but alas it was not to be. Then I e-mailed (from my iphone) my landlady to see what was up. Then I went into the living room and played with legos for a while. She called me maybe half an hour later (because I hadn't responded to the e-mail she had sent in response to mine) and told me to try picking the lock. I was unsuccessful (but I had fun trying!) and e-mailed her back to tell her so. Then I started watchign a movie. maybe twenty minutes in to the movie she came to my front door to tell me that her father-in-law would be coming by soon to take the door off the hinges and fix the internet. After I finished the movie the internet was back and she had sent a follow-up e-mail to make sure everything was fixed. All of this is just to show how awesome my landlords are. When Paul and Stephanie's heat was out it took their landlord days to respond, let alone fix the problem.

5) The movie I was watching during the previous item? The Emperor's New Groove. I give it a B- Best part is with out a doubt "I'll turn him into a flea. A harmless little flea. And I'll put that flea in a box. And then I'll put that box in another box. Then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives, [laughs maniacally] I'll smash it with a hammer! It's brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, I tell you! Genius, I say! [Knocks over the potion, which makes a plant explode] Or, to save on postage, I'll just poison him with this!"

6) That night I went with Robert and two of his friends to see the Improvised Shakespeare Company. I highly suggest watching this clip, which should give a small sense of the hilarity that we experienced. The play we saw was called "Hampsters," and while I won't waste time recounting the plot I will briefly mention some highlights. King Edward was my favorite character, he was hilariously viscous, the main plot conceit was that he kept his son locked up in his room to protect him, but also had told all his guards and citizens to kill the prince on sight if he ever left his room (when they open the windows to look out a volley or arrows flies in), he invariably killed every messenger and anyone else who irked him. Alright, I'm just going to list the other highlights without context: yearly three minutes of unchaining, triple sodomy, porpoise riding handmaiden, the kings players miming an owl, a rabbit and a branch and then animating the corpse of their slain leader, the mermaids' song of warning, "is he talking about the mermaids again?", incest + dramatic irony = hilarity , "it took two half-siblings to make my heart whole," the royal guards - each with a more outrageous accent than the last, "i'm gonna strangle wit' my dreds!", advice from the king's ghost, "we've got a horse!", the completely unnecessary death of the King of Corsica. I could go on - it was a riot. I think the most impressive thing was the rhyming couplets they would occasionally bust out.

7) Then we all went to Home Bistro. Robert and I had already eaten dinner, but we got appetizers (he got dates wrapped in bacon and cooked in brown sugar, I got fried balls of cheese and artichoke) and dessert (he got bread pudding covered in whipped cream and chocolate sauce, I got an espresso drenched coffee cake, also with whipped cream) and help the others with their meals (the trout was amazing). There was some wine from Kafka too. Delicious!

8) Finally got some animating done for the SVELT Interview. Here's a really choppy low-res clip of what I've got so far. Of course the actual animation on my hard drive is big and beautiful, so don't worry.

9) I finally broke down and started a MOCpages account (I have also put a link in the sidebar, since Dad gave me such a hard time about neglecting to put a link to the NNN Youtube page ::grins::). I had told myself I would be content with just posting pictures of my lego creations on flickr and posting about them on EuroBricks, but that approach just felt so scattered, even with sets and collection,. nothing every really feels organized on flickr. MOCpages gives you a lot more flexibility in how you present your creations. Plus, it's another part of the LEGO fan community to expose to my videos. I still have a lot of stuff to add, but I put a few simple ones on there to start off.

10) 8-bit Trip - This may be the most impressive lego animation I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot) The pong part is mind blowing.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Excellent! Now that you have your passport, Sweden awaits!