Thursday, September 24, 2009

Huzzah!

1) The most important item from this week is the fact that Robert and I are now dating. We went on another non-date on Thursday to the Modern Wing at the Art Institute since neither of us had been and the museum is free on Thursday nights. We saw a bunch of art. I’m not going to try to describe it here. We did not get to get across the sky bridge, sadly. Then we went to Noodles and Company and it was delicious. Then as we were waiting on the train platform I asked Robert, “So what do you think about us dating?” And he said, “I think I’m ready to give it a try. (pause) Though, I’m not entirely sure what that entails.” Well, figuring that out is the fun part.


2) Robert and I went on our very first date the very next night. Guthrie's was super crowded, so we went to Trader Todd's for karaoke night and I sang "These Boots are made for Walking" as I am wont to do. Then we went to Berlin for a little while and then we got the awkward first kiss out of the way.


3) The new South Campus dorm is awesome. I spent some time this week helping make a video tour of it. I did not operate the camera or do most of the editing, but I was there to walk around and help the videographer figure out what to capture. The place is gorgeous. I am jealous of the students who get to live there.


4) I introduced Krista, Tiffany and Seth to the glory that is Freejack. It is one of the best worst movies ever. Emilio Estevez stars as a racecar driver who is kidnapped to the dystopian future (November 2009) where he is hunted by Mick Jagger so that Anthony Hopkins mind can be transplanted in his body. Check out this must-see chase scene & a short clip from the climax.


5) I had a dream that week that involved solving a mystery (in the Mystery Machine) with Jerry Seinfeld and some assorted teens. I was describing this dream to Tiffany and Seth and we started trying to imagine who would be on my Scooby Doo dream team. (By Scooby Doo Dream Team we mean if someone was making a movie about my life and there was a dream sequence where I had to solve a mystery, who would be on that team. The question of who would be on my ideal mystery solving team is another matter entirely.)

Obviously Jerry Seinfeld is going to be on it because he was in my actual dream. The next obvious addition is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which we later refined to Sarah Michelle Gellar so she could be both Buffy and Daphne. We were originally going to keep Scooby-Doo, but then decided to replace him with Brak. And I have to be on it since it’s my dream. We couldn’t agree on the 5th team member. I was pushing for Carmen SanDiego, Lumiere from Beauty and the Beast also came up as an option, I would have put Jack Harkness on the team, but that would have quickly derailed the mystery solving. I welcome your suggestions.


6) I challenge you to watch this video of kids trying not to eat marshmallows and not smile.


7) We had our yearly Communications Retreat on Friday. This year it was at Navy Pier. While it was a nice way to remind us how we are all connected to a larger goal, I was disappointed that there wasn't more room for conversation about the strategy stuff. Still, the food was good and the boat cruise made for a nice afternoon.


8) "Guise will be Guise" was my favorite episode of Angel season 2 to date. Wesley pretends to be Angel, hilarity ensues.


9) On Saturday night I went with Tiffany, Seth and Stephanie to see Mike Birbiglia. He's hilarious. Here's one of the stories he told during the routine we saw.


10) Then we went to Yogen Fruz. So delicious.

No comments: